Hummingbird tattoos in all cultures have a positive meaning and for many people, it is not only a vivid pattern on the body, but also a mystical amulet, which attracts love and wealth. These tattoos may be found on necks, backs, collarbones, forearms, wrists, ankles, and legs.
A hummingbird is a unique bird due to some reasons: it is the smallest bird in the world and it has a distinctive ability to soar in the air at the same place.
Ancient Aztecs revered the hummingbird as a deity, Indians associated this bird with the souls of beloved, who passed away, but remained together in the afterlife, furthermore, in many cultures this bird is regarded as a God’s bird, which helped people in tough situations and even was the guide for those, who got lost in the desert. In the Eastern culture this bird symbolizes beauty and gracefulness, in most cases only young women wear this pattern. For inhabitants of the Caribbean islands, the hummingbird is the sign of wealth.
Hummingbird Tattoos Meaning:
The hummingbird tattoos reveal diverse meanings, the most sought-after of them are:
- The prevailing meaning is peace, happiness, and care.
- The hummingbird discloses beauty and tenderness thanks to its mystical ability.
- Its feathers indicate energy and people’s strength to overcome all difficulties.
- Often this pattern is connected with prosperity and the sexual energy.
- This design emphasizes openness and sincerity of its owner.
- The striving for freedom is often displayed in this design.
- If there is the image of two birds, it denotes that the person wants to live in harmony with his second half and the priority for his is love and faithfulness.
- Sometimes hummingbirds are displayed with butterflies, seeing that both of them denote the originality and creativity of the personality.
Oftentimes colors, which are employed for creating this tattoo, refer to the group of warm and bright tones. Some people like colorful tattoos as they are aesthetically glorious, others put their own meaning in each color of the hummingbird.
Both men and women wear these tattoos on their shoulders, forearms, backs, necks, feet and hands. This tattoo often can be found on the abdomen, the bird is depicted together with a flower, from which it drinks nectar, the pattern speaks about satisfaction in life.
Thus, unlike many tattoos, the hummingbird tattoo doesn’t have contradictory meanings, the meaning of this pattern is always positive, so it will adorn any part of the body both of males and females.
Fresh Hummingbird Tattoo Design Ideas
- Ancient Hindus believed that it was a great success to find a hummingbird, and if it was sitting on a flower, it meant prosperity in business. The tattoo on the hip represents a bright hummingbird, which is drinking nectar from a lily. The overall picture expresses the satisfaction with life and spiritual contentment.
- In Eastern culture, a hummingbird tattoo is in great demand among women as it expresses love and femininity. The tattoo below covers a woman’s breast and represents two hummingbirds, which fly towards each other. The meaning is that two loving souls will always manage to meet despite all obstacles.
- Aztecs believed that hummingbirds were a symbol of love and devotion. Two hummingbirds are displayed on the forearm, they kiss each other, but at the same time they subsist in two diverse worlds: a real world and, probably, the hummingbird inside the helmet symbolizes an afterlife.
- A stunning hummingbird is on the side of the female’s body. It is seen among flowers, which can reveal the idea of the ancient Indians about the family. The bird here is the sign of a loving mother, who takes care of her family, which is displayed with the help of flowers.
- A startling tattoo covers a man’s head and definitely it draws attention! The hummingbird has always meant striving for freedom and the person, who wears this tattoo, shows his free spirit and disobedience to the standard norms.
- The shoulder is adorned with a hummingbird and flowers. In this case, flowers symbolize beauty and love and the bird is about the strong sexual energy of a woman.
- An absolutely gorgeous tattoo extends from the ankle to the foot. Here the idea of ancient Maya is traced, they have always considered the hummingbird a harbinger of good news. The bird is carrying a letter, which can symbolize a new happy period in life.
- The pattern below represents a hummingbird, which incorporates pink, blue, orange and green colors, and the flower is in the same color spectrum. The tattoo is on the ribs, it shows insane youth, beauty, and happiness.
- In many cultures, the hummingbird tattoo is tightly bound with flowers and it expresses cheerfulness and sometimes a frivolous attitude towards life. This very idea is revealed in this tattoo on the back.
- This small tattoo is on the shoulder. The size of the pattern has nothing to do with its meaning, because despite being a tiny bird, the hummingbird is very agile and brave. The significance of the tattoo is that hummingbird with the ribbon in the mouth indicates a happy period.
- The tattoo on the lower leg is made in a dot work technique, which is considered to be the oldest technique in the world as even African tribes adorned their bodies with these tattoos in the 6th century BC. The abstract pattern below represents a rebellious spirit of a person.
- A watercolor hummingbird tattoo embellishes the shoulder blade. This vivid bird draws attention to the owner, which can signify that a person always wants to stand out and to be in the spotlight.
- The small tattoo on the lower arm is observed. Despite the tiny size, it carries a very symbolic meaning – the portrayed bird flies up, which denotes that a person always achieves his goals.
- Maya and Aztecs associated hummingbirds with symbols of love. This tattoo in a tribal style on the head behind the ear shows that the person is remarkable for his tender soul and a loving heart.
- Nowadays the meaning of the hummingbird tattoo is often complemented with bright accents, which complete the overall meaning. Here a hummingbird on the foot expresses love for the passion of the person’s life – music, which is shown in musical notes.
- Ancient tribes have given the second name to the hummingbird – a flying flower, which is a symbol of good luck. There is a tattoo on the side and it says about the luck of the owner in a romantic relationship and success in a business.
- Often people argue that this small bird has a mystical connection with the soul. This sense is revealed in this tattoo, where a tiny hummingbird is depicted. The pattern is on the chest and it says about a strong spiritual relationship between the owner and a close person.
- Extraordinary people are always looking for unusual places for tattoos, which will help them to stand out from the rest of the people. A hummingbird tattoo below is shown on the middle finger of the hand, the tattoo is very small, but the connotation of the pattern is the unusual thinking, love for all creative and interesting.
- A sought-after pattern among women is the hummingbird with diverse flowers because oftentimes they indicate cheerfulness, love, beauty, youth. The tattoo on the hip represents a hummingbird and a peony, which is the symbol of happiness and youth. Hence, the meaning of the design is that in the heart of this person will always be spring and a youthful spirit.
- There are a lot of stories in Brazilian folklore, they praise the strength and courage of hummingbirds. A beautiful hummingbird is located on a shoulder blade and indicates that a person has a strong spirit and he is not afraid of difficulties.
- Here is a masterpiece, which covers the whole sleeve! The meaning of the tattoo is complicated due to the components of the pattern: red poppies carry a clear meaning – loneliness and there is an abundance of these flowers, but the hummingbird is depicted above poppies, which denotes that love always triumphs over loneliness.
- In many cultures, the image of two hummingbirds symbolizes a loving couple, their loyalty, and devotion to each other. Here two hummingbirds on the hip are observed, they express love, but at the same time blurred boundaries indicate a lack of clear plans for the future.
- The design of the tattoo on the lower arm below incorporates images of the hummingbird, the rose, and the dragonfly. In Chinese culture, the hummingbird is a desire for changes, and a dragonfly indicates changes; so in the tattoo below they surround the rose, which symbolizes love. Thus, the whole point is that the future offers good chances in love.
- An iridescent pattern encompasses the shoulder and the breast. The picture itself is an ode to love, loyalty, and family values because it depicts hummingbirds and the heart.
- In countries, where a hummingbird lives, people identify hummingbirds with a swiftness and energy. The hummingbird tattoo on the lower arm suggests that a person, who wears it, has strong energy, including sexual energy.
- This girlish tattoo spells out the idea of a happy lifetime. Feathers, which are falling down, symbolize longing for the happy moments in life.
- The small tattoo on the ankle is about overcoming difficulties in life and it resonates with the main ability of the birds – to soar in mid-air by rapidly flapping their wings, which requires much energy and endurance.
- This tribal tattoo displays a hummingbird with open wings and a red heart. The only bright accent in this tattoo is the heart, which shows that for this person love is the main priority in life.
- The striking feature of tribal tattoos is that they are made in black colors, which is an advantage because this ink won’t fade and a person can invent his own details, which will be added to the tattoo. Hummingbirds on lower arms here speak about a person’s ability to perform even the most complex tasks.
- The tribal design here covers the shoulder and the part of the sleeve and looks absolutely fantastic! These curves create a wonderful image and the pattern expresses the idea that wings of love encompass our life.
- The tribal tattoo below shows the hummingbird, which is carrying the flower. This pattern was common for ancient tribes and it meant the protection of the family. The picture is located on the ribs and spells out the idea of the power of love and strength of family ties.
- Tribal tattoos are sought-after not just because of their originality, but also due to the variety of diverse meanings, which change depending on the components of the tattoo. Here is an amazing example of the tribal tattoo on the neck, it expresses a positive attitude towards life and a free thinking.
- The pattern below stretches across the back and it incorporates Eastern motives. In Eastern culture, the hummingbird is synonymous with beauty, grace, and sweetness. Here the bird indicates the outer and inner beauty.
- In Polynesian culture through these tattoos, priestesses established contacts with the upper world. Now this tribal tattoo on the back means the union of souls in two worlds.
- On a woman’s side, a hummingbird is surrounded by flowers, which is very symbolic. In this case, flowers symbolize love and a romantic relationship, the bird says that only being in love the person feels free and happy.
- In many ancient cultures, people made hummingbird tattoos on places, which can be easily covered with clothes or accessories because they believed that this bird attracted prosperity and love, so envious people could put the evil eye. This tradition has survived to the present day, the petite tattoo on the lower abdomen is aimed at attracting happiness to the owner.
- This colorful design adorns the hip and it reveals the idea of ancient Greeks, who believed that if a bird drinks nectar from the flower, it symbolizes that the person is crazy about the heady nectar of love.
- This tiny tattoo adorns the wrist and the style of the tattoo is tribal because the prevailing color spectrum is dark with insertions of red accents and there are no many details here: two birds fly away from the blooming branch. The pattern represents the person, who is not ready for a serious relationship and he is free from love.
- The magnificent colorful tattoo is on the girlish back. The pattern is extremely vivid and the idea is clear – birds have expanded their wings and they strive upward, which indicates that the person is immensely happy in love and is ready to shout about it to the world.
- The beauty of this tiny tribal tattoo on the collarbone is in its simplicity, the inscription “Free” and the hummingbird denotes that this person has a free spirit and doesn’t bow to the life’s difficulties.